I’m one of those people who starts to think about what I’m going to have for dinner at breakfast time. I drove my mother mad when I was a young kid, asking her at breakfast before school every morning what we were having for dinner. Cooking isn’t my mum’s favourite thing to do – far from it in fact…so needless to say I caused a whole lot of undue stress every morning with this simple question.
So yesterday I was racking my brain all day with what ingredients I had available in the fridge/cupboard, and what I was going to do with them. I’d seen several recipes for zucchini boats on Pinterest – so decided to experiment a little bit and make my own version. I had only intended on eating one half of my zucchini and save the other half for lunch the next day – but I couldn’t not eat it – it was truly that delicious. This was super easy to cook, minimal effort, cheap ingredients, and most importantly was amazingly tasty. Try it – you won’t regret it!!
– 2 medium zucchini
– 1 x 400g tin lentils (I used brown lentils)
-1 medium brown onion, diced
– 1 large carrot, grated
– 5 cloves garlic, chopped finely
– 1 small hot chilli – seeds removed, chopped finely
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
-1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric and smoked paprika
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup tasty cheese (use hummus if you are making the vegan version)
– sour cream and fresh lime wedges to serve (leave out sour cream if vegan)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Add olive oil to a saucepan and cook onion until soft. Add garlic, chilli, spices and salt & pepper and cook until aromatic. Add carrot and lentils and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add diced tomatoes and cook mixture for 10 minutes.
3. Cut zucchini in half lengthways and scoop out seeds and some flesh to make ‘boats’. Place boats onto a baking tray and fill with lentil taco mix. Top with cheese (or hummus for vegan version) and cook in the oven for about half an hour or until the cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.
4. Serve with a wedge of fresh lime and dollop of sour cream.
You could also add guacamole or a fresh salsa to serve with this.
Mash 1 avocado, juice of half a lime, 1/2 clove of garlic – finely chopped, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or chilli powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Mix 1 small cucumber – diced, 2 medium tomatoes – diced, 1/4 red onion or 3 spring onions – diced, 1 tbsp olive oil, juice 1/2 lime and salt and pepper to taste.