If you are anything like me then you LOVE anything citrus, especially sweet treats. This recipe is a take on one of my Grandma’s slices. The original is yum and uses dried apricots, however I’m a sucker for anything citrus and wanted to make the same texture slice but a different flavour – and the Lemon Coconut Oat slice was born! Using 5 ingredients and no need for cooking, this slice is quick and easy to make and never lasts long once prepared.
– 3/4 pkt plain biscuits (I use shredded wheat biscuits, but milk arrowroot, malt-o-milk etc. biscuits would work fine)
– 3/4 cup rolled oats
– 3/4 cup desiccated coconut + extra for top
– 3 lemons
– 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
– Coconut oil for greasing and baking paper to line tin
– Grease and line a square cake tin (I use a 20cm or 8″ tin)
– Put the biscuits into a food processor or blender and blitz until it looks like a fine crumb. Repeat the process with the rolled oats.
– Place crushed biscuits, oats and coconut into a large bowl and mix to combine.
– In a separate bowl mix the zest and juice of 3 lemons with the tin of condensed milk until combined.
– Mix the lemon condensed milk mixture into the dry ingredients.
– Press mixture into the tin and sprinkle the top with extra desiccated coconut. I find it easiest to push the mixture into the tin with the back of a spoon and then really press it into the corners once the extra coconut is on top (which keeps the mixture from sticking to your fingers).
– Refrigerate the slice for approximately 6 hours or overnight. Take out of fridge and cut into bars (I get 32 bars from this size tin – 4 x 8)